It was a beautiful sight today– the sidewalks are melting and turning into puddles! I managed to take a small walk on lunch today just to get outside for the first time in almost two months! Before we know it, the blossoms of spring will be in full bloom!
With spring a little under two weeks away, the time is NOW to get ready for the new season!
Are you ready? Here are the things you need to do now to get ahead of the game:
- Seeds are purchased or have been started. One of the cheapest ways to garden is buying seeds! Or, if you have collected seeds from last fall, you are ready to roll! If you purchased them last month to force growth, this is the time so they are ready to head outdoors.
- Get the tools you need. In one of my first posts, I outlined the basic tools you need to get growing. A trowel, spade, shovel, cultivator and rake are the most common and readily available for you. Simple and basic. And practical!
- Get a wide-brimmed hat. Even the sun in spring can burn you just as bad as in the middle of summer! Protect yourself and get a good hat and some sunscreen.
- Purchase a pair of garden gloves. As I have said in the past, when doing any garden work, I recommend purchasing a good pair of garden gloves. You can pull weeds MUCH easier than with your bare hands.
- Knee pad, baby! Knee pads are a savior and rock my world! I even use them when I have to clean the cats’ litter box!
- A good bucket. A good bucket is worth its weight in gold when it comes to carrying your tools and other yard rubbish around!
A bigger investment, but no less important — a wheelbarrow. This was the first thing my husband and I purchased after we got married! They are not too expensive–but again, worth its weight in gold if you want something a little bigger than a bucket.
If you follow these tips than you will be sure to kick off the coming growing season in the right direction.
Please feel free to share any other tips you have that will be handy this spring!