If anybody knows me, they know I love gear. I have all sorts of apparel for every activity, cold weather, warm weather — you get the idea. I try to always be prepared.
Besides the right garden tools and equipment, you must also have what you need to make the most of your garden session.
So, I am showcasing a few of my favorite things that I have had for a while, or I have treated myself to. None the less, they are all used to their fullest potential.
Here’s a glimpse into the gear I will wearing/using as soon as the snow melts!
1. Water Bottle— It is very important that you have a water bottle with you at all times when you are gardening. It’s hard work, and you must be hydrated just like any other time of the day. I really like this water bottle from Hydroflask because, even when I keep this bottle out in the hot summer sun for hours, I can open it up and drink ice-cold water. The same can be said for warm beverages as well. Something tells me coffee will be going in here for my spring gardening this year with the cold temperatures we are dealing with in the Northeast US!
2. Electrolyte Tablets — You expend a lot of energy when you are pushing, pulling, weeding, digging, etc. I buy Nuun electrolyte hydration tablets that give me the little boost I need through my workouts and gardening. Made for endurance athletes, I can honestly say gardening goes into the endurance category!
3. Utility Knife — How much more can I really say? I have had this Leatherman utility knife for a few years now, and it has helped with everything from fishing to camping. It’s amazing what this little thing can do for your garden as well!
4. Wool baselayers — I love baselayers. This was a birthday present to myself. Wazzie Wool from a small women’s running apparel shop called Oiselle. It’s quality merino wool that did it’s job for me the other day when I didn’t have time to change after my workout at lunch last week. I got super sweaty, but did not end up getting cold like I usually do. This will be my go-to baselayer for early spring digging and raking, that’s for sure!
5. Sunglasses/Sunscreen — Even though it’s early spring, you still need to put your sunscreen on! It’s amazing how sunburned you get in that cold, but bright, spring sun! That goes for your eyes as well– protect your peepers with sunglasses!
6. Rain boots — Need I say more? These are a garden staple, and you must purchase a pair right away if you haven’t done so!
This is just a small list, but I could go on. I have plenty of things I have collected over the years for exercising/outdoor activities that could be used for yard work. Stick to the obvious choices and you won’t have to say you had a bad day in the garden!
3 thoughts on “What I’m Digging– Gear for Spring Gardening”
Great list! Oh and my big rimmed hat! 🙂
Yes, as I was looking at my wide brimmed hat hanging up, I thought, I forgot one of the most important things!
Wonderful list, I was going to mention a hat too, since I just bought a new straw hat for gardening yesterday.. Happy gardening.. and I can’t hardly wait to get dirt underneath my fingernails again.. pure joys of spring and gardens …
Take care and happy gardening to ya, from Laura~